An Intersection of Immortal Souls
| 15th and New Jersey, April 2026 |
Situated at the northwestern corner of 15th and New Jersey Streets, in the Old Northside neighborhood of Indianapolis, lies a structure likened to the house featured in Grant Wood's most well-known work, American Gothic, with its pointed arch windows. Though the building now serves as a traditional, private residence, it has served as a house of worship for its first hundred and twenty some odd years.
The founding congregation to call this corner home was the Central Universalist Church. The church initially formed in 1884. Before moving to this location, the church convened at places such as Pfafflin Hall and the well-known When Block. It wasn't until 1892 that the church would receive two generous donations to the congregation to erect a permanent home. Both donations were given by none other than John and Electa Herron, the former being the benefactor to what is now the Herron School of Art & Design and the Indianapolis Museum of Art (also known as Newfields). Mr. Herron donated the lot on which the church was to be erected, and Mrs. Herron donated $1,000 (roughly $36,000 as of 2026) to help aid its construction. Mrs. Herron also served as an active member of the church. Their niece and caretaker, Anna E. Turrell, was also a longtime member. Sadly, Mrs. Herron passed away prior to the completion of the church.
![]() |
| Mr. and Mrs. Herron, c.1880s by Frank M. Hohenberger Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection, IU Digital Collections |
In June 1893, it was announced that Waltz & Son, of Hagerstown, IN, would receive the contract work for its construction. It was dedicated in December of the same year, however the first sermon was held elsewhere due to the delay in laying of the carpet and receiving the remaining furniture. Mr. Herron had graciously offered the first sermon to be held at his modest wood-frame Italianate residence just south of 15th Street and College Avenue, a mere four blocks away from the congregation's new home.
Herron's health declined, and he traveled westward in search of better health and passed rather unfortunately in Los Angeles in April 1895. His remains were returned to Indiana, and Central Universalist Church held his service on May 8th. Many attended his memorial service and included remarks by Rev. B. F. Foster, a close friend of Herron; Ambrose P. Stanton, Herron's executor and friend; and May Wright Sewall, a founding member of the Art Association of Indianapolis. Herron was interred at his family plot at Mt. Carmel Cemetery in southeastern Indiana.
A parsonage was built west of the church in 1896. The lot was also gifted by John Herron, prior to his death, in memory of his sister, Ann Herron. In October 1903, "a marriage of unusual interest" took place between millionaire industrialist Edmund B. Ball of the Ball family and Miss Bertha Crosley, daughter of Rev. Marion Crosley (a former pastor of Central Universalist and officiant). A fire damaged the church in 1904 and was later renovated to its current exterior in 1915. It was rededicated in December, twenty-two years after the church's inaugural dedication.
| Peoples Temple c. 1955-58, W. H. Bass Photo Company Collection, Indiana Historical Society |
| Advertisement from the Indianapolis Star, April 9, 1955, pg. 20 |
| Promotional license plate, c. 1955-8, Collection of the Indiana State Museum |

.png)
So interesting, Kyle! What a wild history!!
ReplyDelete